Privacy and Web Policy
The Frontier Culture Museum of Virginia (FCMV) web site provides links to external sites and pages that are not affiliated with, controlled, or maintained by the agency. As such, FCMV is not responsible for the content of sites external to the agency and does not endorse or ensure the accuracy of information on such sites.
Hypertext links on the FCMV web site may be created if it is determined that establishing such links will further the goals of the agency in meeting the needs of its constituents. FCMV staff, in their sole discretion, will determine whether any external web site meets these goals. FCMV is not responsible for the content, accuracy, or maintenance of such sites, nor should the inclusion of links be viewed as an endorsement of content or opinions expressed on the site. Hypertext links to external sites or pages may be removed or replaced at the sole discretion of the agency at any time and without notice.
Through its Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is promoting a high degree of web access for persons with disabilities. In coordination with organizations around the world, WAI is pursuing web accessibility through five primary areas of work: technology, guidelines, tools, education and outreach, and research and development. FCMV makes every effort to comply with W3C guidelines for Web accessibility.
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia that personal information about citizens will be collected only to the extent necessary to provide the service or benefit desired, that only appropriate information will be collected, and that citizens shall understand the reason the information is collected and be able to examine their personal information record which is maintained by a public body.
In accordance with the Commonwealth’s policy, the Frontier Culture Museum of Virginia (FCMV) clearly and explicitly states to its Internet users:
- FCMV’s website does not require you to provide any personal information as prerequisite to downloading files or reports.
- FCMV’s website uses Google analytical software to automatically collect routing (or client) information and the essential and nonessential technical information listed below.
- Routing or client information: the Internet domain and Internet address (IP address) of the computer you are using. Routing or client information is used to route the requested web page to your computer for viewing. We send the requested web page and the routing information to our Internet service provider or other entities involved in transmitting the requested page to you. We do not control the privacy practices of those entities.
- Essential technical information: identification of the page or service you are requesting (for example, files you choose to download), type of browser you are using, the date and time of access, and length of time spent on each page.
- Nonessential technical information: the Internet address of the web site from which you linked directly to our web site, and the name of your host server. Google Analytics collects this information by placing a cookie on your computer. A cookie is a small text file that is used to remember the above information about your computer. This essential and nonessential technical information helps us respond to your request in an appropriate format, helps us maintain general web site usage statistics, and helps us plan web site improvements.
- FCMV’s website does provide users with various request forms for interacting with the FCMV.
- Some of the forms on this website do ask for user information (e.g. name, address, email address, etc.). FCMV collects, maintains, uses, and disseminates only that personal information permitted or required by law to be so collected, maintained, used, or disseminated, or necessary to accomplish proper purposes of the agency.
- You may review your user information that FCMV has gathered by requesting your information in writing. Please contact FCMV by telephone at (540) 332-7850 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org about reviewing your information.
- If you find errors in your user records, you can have this information corrected by submitting the corrections in writing. Please contact FCMV by telephone at (540) 332-7850 or e-mail at email@example.com about correcting any user information.
- FCMV’s website does provide (an) online form(s) for voluntary submission of information by the public, including, but not limited to, web surfing capabilities and your comment(s) on our site or ongoing initiatives. FCMV extracts the form data (i.e. speed of your Internet connection, monitor size, etc.) for the purpose of improving this site. If your feedback necessitates a response and you submitted your e-mail address, your message and email address will be forwarded to the appropriate staff member to make the necessary reply. If you choose not to fill out the online form(s) you will still have access to all the information available on our website.
- The Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), located § 2.2-3700 et. seq. of the Code of Virginia, guarantees citizens of the Commonwealth and representatives of the media access to public records held by public bodies, public officials, and public employees. To access FCMV’s full FOIA policy, visit the website FOIA page.
- Certain documents on the FCMV web site require readers to use specific software programs or plug-ins. Users can download Adobe Acrobat Reader at http://www.adobe.com/. PowerPoint, Excel, and other products within the Microsoft Office Suite can be downloaded at http://office.microsoft.com/enus/default.aspx.
Social Media Policy
Defining Social Network
FCMV also has a Facebook Fan page targeted at Virginians to improve communication with interested parties about the Museum, its programs, and events.
Facebook is a social media tool that has been embraced by 20- to 59 year-old audiences after it was originally introduced for college students. Facebook features the ability to set up a page about an individual, a business, or a subject to which friends subscribe. Updates are short micro-blog updates or longer video, photo, or profile updates. Once subscribed to a person or linked to a business or group as a fan, individuals receive the latest posts and can follow contacts on their home page. Initially this tool was mainly being used for only social interaction; use by businesses and government agencies is now becoming more common. Facebook Fan pages can be viewed by Facebook and non-Facebook members at no cost.
FCMV also has an Instagram account, which consists of storytelling through photography and videography. Users of Instagram tend to be in the same audience of those in Facebook, but due to recent trends, skew younger. Once subscribed a person will receive updates in their feed and can message FCMV directly.
FCMV also utilizes a YouTube account. YouTube is a social networking site that contains short and long form content. This site is commonly used with all age groups. In addition to video content, the media site allows users to post via the community tab for subscribers to interact with content. YouTube is owned by the Google Company. YouTube pages can be viewed by Google and non-Google users at no cost.
The purpose of this site is to present matters of public interest to students, parents, faculty, etc. about FCMV. We encourage individuals to submit questions, comments, and concerns, but please note this is a moderated online discussion site.
Once posted, FCMV reserves the right to delete submissions that contain vulgar language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, or religious group. FCMV also reserves the right to delete comments that:
- contain spam or include links to other sites;
- are clearly off topic;
- advocate illegal activity;
- promote particular services, products, or political organizations; infringe on copyrights or trademarks;
- use personally identifiable information. We recommend individuals not share personal information on FCMV’s Facebook pages.
Please note that the comments expressed on this site do not necessarily reflect the opinions and position of FCMV or its employees. If you have any questions concerning the operation of this online moderated discussion site, please contact the FCMV administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
When posting on the FCMV Facebook or Instagram page, FCMV employees should identify themselves as representatives of FCMV and conduct themselves according to all state policies and conditions of employment.
FCMV reserves the right to delete any comments at any time. Users who violate FCMV’s community guidelines may be barred from posting to this site. FCMV reserves the right to change its web policies as necessary.